Flywheel Removed

Sunday, May 24, 2009 by EV Hacker

I was finally able to remove the flywheel today. There's a big 54mm nut torqued down rather tightly holding the flywheel on the shaft. When I looked for a socket in the past, they were around $50 (!). Today, I found a 2-1/8" socket for $28 at Sears that should work. I'd purchased a cheap little Harbor Freight electric impact wrench years ago and figured I'd try using that to remove the nut (my back up plan was to borrow some air tools). I also bought a set of adapters that would allow me to use the 1/2" drive wrench with the socket, which takes a 3/4" drive.


The impact wrench is 12V, so I connected it to the battery in my Miata.



That's a huge socket, huh? The impact wrench worked surprisingly well. The nut was off within 2 minutes.



Here's the flywheel:



And here's the engine with the flywheel removed:



Now, the folks at Revolt can come over and take the remaining measurements needed to design the adapter plate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see some progress.. Can't wait to see how the adapter turns out. Also how you connecting motor to gearbox? I was thinking Lovejoy but am now thinking taperlock or something like that.

EV Hacker said...

Thanks! I'm planning on keeping the clutch and Revolt Custom Electric Vehicles is designing a hub that will accept the stock flywheel/clutch assembly as well as adapter plate to mount to the transmission housing. If all goes well, it'll "look" just like the original engine from the clutch and transmission's point-of-view.